Multnomah County, OR
Online Marriage Application

Welcome to the Multnomah County Online Marriage Application System

Congratulations on your decision to get married! Completing the process for your marriage license can be done in a few easy steps:

  1. Complete this online application. Be sure to fill out all fields.

  2. Choose from one of the following two options:

You may appear in person to purchase and pick up your license. Appointments are not needed. Licenses are issued the same day.

  1. Both parties need to appear in person.

  2. Bring a copy of photo identification for both parties (driver’s license, state id card, passport, etc.). The name on the application should match the identification provided.

  3. Bring a $60 cashier’s check or money order made out to Multnomah County Marriage Licenses. If you are requesting a waiver of the three-day waiting period, please submit a $65 cashier’s check or money order, instead.

Walk-in service is available Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30pm.

  1. Click on the Make an Appointment button on

  2. Both parties need to appear in person.

  3. On your appointment date, bring your photo ID (for both parties) and $60 in certified funds (cash, cashier's check, money order, or debit/credit - 2% convenience fee on debit/credit) to:

    Multnomah County Marriage License Office
    501 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Ste 175.
    Portland, OR 97214

  1. After you submit your application, print out the copy of your application provided to you.

  2. Sign the application (lines 25 and 26).

  3. Mail the copy of the application, the confirmation page, a copy of photo ID for both parties, and $60 in certified funds (cashier's check or money order) to:

    Multnomah County Marriage License Office
    PO Box 2716
    Portland, OR 97208

  4. Once we receive your application materials, Multnomah staff will process and mail you the license, which can be used at the ceremony. This process should take approximately 4 weeks.

PLEASE NOTE: The ceremony must take place somewhere in the state of Oregon. It cannot be used out of state.


You must meet these requirements in order to be considered eligible to apply for a marriage license. Blood tests and medical exams are not required.

  • Legal age for marriage in the State of Oregon for both applicants is 18 years-of-age.
  • A seventeen-year-old can be married if the parent or guardian gives consent. The parent or guardian must complete a Parental Consent for Marriage of a Minor form at the time the applicants apply for their marriage license.
  • Anyone not yet 17 years of age cannot be legally married in the State of Oregon.

Applicants cannot be first cousins or nearer kin.

A license can be issued one day after the final date of a divorce. For any license issued within one month of a final divorce, the exact date of divorce must be provided.

License Conditions

Licenses may be obtained in any county in Oregon, must be returned to the County from which they were issued, and can only be used in the State of Oregon. No extensions of time or refunds of money are made once the license is issued.

Waiting Period
There is a three-day waiting period from the day the license is purchased until it can be used.

If you wish to use the marriage license immediately, waiver request forms are available in the Multnomah County Clerk's office. A fee of $5.00 will apply.

Please note: Once the marriage license is effective, it is only valid for a 60-day period in which to have your marriage ceremony held in the State of Oregon. Once a license expires, the effective dates cannot be extended.

Certified Copy

Once the marriage has taken place, and the completed marriage license is returned to the County Clerk, an official certified copy of the license can be obtained from the County Clerk for $7.75 for the first copy, $4.00 for each additional copy purchased at the same time..

Legal Copies
The certified document is considered the legal proof of marriage, and if an applicant selected a new name to be taken upon marriage, it can be used by the applicant to change their name with the DMV and Social Security Administration, etc.

If an issued license or decorative certificate is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee.

© Helion Software 2021